Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sunday Patrol and some observations

Out on the trail starting about 7:30 a.m., with plenty of company on a pleasantly cool, overcast morning.


West side and south side. Picked up:

  • bandaid from someone's finger
  • 4 tissues
  • 1 tobacco chaw wrapper
  • 1 earplug wrapper
  • 2 pieces of paper with writing
  • 1 napkin
  • 4 candy or gum wrappers
  • 1 pc chewed gum
  • 1 pc chewed gum in wrapper
  • 1 dental flosser stick thing
  • several more green and also shiny ribbon things... they're all over. I'm guessing left over from the opening day celebration (Feb 1)
  • 1 cough-drop wrapper
  • 12 bits of fence construction debris
  • 2 bottle caps
  • 1 drawstring from a sweatshirt
  • 7 cigarette butts
  • Many pieces of orange peel and bits of an orange that someone dropped as they went. Perhaps leaving a Hansel & Gretel style trail to find their way back.  In which case, I foiled them by picking up the pieces, and now they'll be captured by the gingerbread-house witch. Tsk. Bummer.
And, I am very very sad to say--especially considering that I swept these areas clean two mornings ago--  Too many poops, I lost count. I filled THREE of my own poop bags along the way. Worst was the south side between the two street entrances to the park. Couple in the middle of the sidewalk. One right next to the poo station. One ON the brand-new fence rail. (Maybe that one was  a raccoon? Odd shape and location.) (Yes, I do look at poop. So does Tika (in the back), whom I put into position for checking out the soiled fence--)



Observations:
  • At 7:30, the trail teemed with people. There's apparently an early contingent who likes to be out starting at or just after sunrise. Quite a few fewer by 8-8:30 when we finished.
  • Given how much stuff I picked up today, someone else must have been doing Naughty Neighbor Patrol all along.  I wonder whether they were out later this morning and being amazed at how clean it all was?
  • Last 3 days had minimal stuff and minimal poop, but today, hooboy--so my assumption is that weekends will be the worst for Neighbors being Naughty in their littering and dog-pooping behaviors.
  • I'll bet if you put a surveillance camera along the south side on weekends, you could make a zillion bucks in fines for people not picking up after their dogs.  That is a fineable offense, isn't it?
Poop bags: One station empty, one had bags.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about the park, the photos, or the naughty neighbors?